Trending Stories

Tier 4 updates | Student can’t work from April 2012

UK Boarder Agency updated latest new outlines for international students who wants to study in UK. Home Secretary Theresa May announced few new rules and criteria for overseas students on 22 March 2011.

The main changes in Tier 4 are as follows:

  • From April 2012, any institution wanting to sponsor students will need to hold Highly Trusted Status.
  • Students studying at undergraduate degree level must have English language skills at level B2 or above, of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
  • Students will be able to spend a maximum of five years on a student visa at undergraduate and Master’s level.
  • The UKBA will treat students more favourably, if you come from a ‘low risk’ country to Aston University who have Highly Trusted sponsor status.
  • Students who are not at university will have limited rights to work in the UK on student visas.
  • Students who are not at university will be limited in the length of time they can spend on a placement as part of their course – 33% will be the maximum.
  • It will not be possible to bring dependants to the UK unless students are sponsored by their home government or are on a postgraduate course which lasts for 12 months or more.
  • After April 2012, at the end of the course, students will not be possible to switch to a Tier 1 Post Study Work visa.

The government has also declared to develop a new entrepreneur route for bright and innovative students who have a business idea and want to make it work in the UK.

In this circumstance UKBA official said, ”It is not yet clear if this new visa will be introduced before the closing of the Tier 1 PSW visa route to new applicants in April 2012. As and when we have more details we will let you know.”



This is SM Nazir Hossain and I'm blogging about Studying in UK alongside my study when I get spare time. I'm passionate about digital marketing and I love to watch cricket, football, cinema. Desired profession Digital Marketing expert. Follow me in twitter @Twitter

View all contributions by

To get free latest updates, just sign up here

Looking for update from Home office or maybe interested to know more recent news with courses and career guideline! Just sign up with us to know more about Tier 4 latest updates including UKVI news.

3 comments… add one
  • waleed
    February 2, 2012, 12:36 pm Reply

    pleas gave some info,
    Before all studnt who come in uk they have right to work..

    • admin
      February 2, 2012, 9:25 pm Reply

      yes until your visa expires if you have work permit in your passport then you can work. But when you go for new admission it will depend on current Tier policy. I mean new policy will implement on your new application.

      • usman
        March 11, 2012, 11:59 pm Reply

        uk always use the immigrants for their own purpose.shame on uk for making money from students

Leave a Comment

Cancel reply