Student visa extension from inside the UK

If you are a current student in UK and want to apply for a new UK student visa for extension or new application then you must know some recent changes of Tier 4 student policy. To apply a new visa or extension from UK you need to fulfill UK Boarder Agency requirements to get permission to study here.

Make sure you apply your new visa within 30 days from the last day of you current course. If a student is already in the UK and his/her existing permission to stay runs out more than one month before the start-date of his/her proposed next course of study, he/she will be expected to return overseas and apply from outside the UK. If the applicant applies from inside the UK, his/her application will be refused.A month will be considered a calendar month (for example, if an applicant’s leave expires on 14 January his/her new course must start no later than 13 February).

UK Boarder Agency suggest that if a student’s course has ended and he/she is applying from inside the UK to extend his/her stay, he/she should apply in the last three months of his/her permission to stay if possible. This is because as soon as they give permission to stay (if the application is approved), the student’s new Tier 4 sponsor becomes responsible for them.

Do you like this post or useful for you then please share it and don’t forget to like on Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/thelondonstudy

This is SM Nazir Hossain and I'm blogging about Studying in UK alongside my study when I get spare time. I'm passionate about digital marketing and I love to watch cricket, football, cinema. Desired profession Digital Marketing expert. Follow me in twitter @Twitter

View all contributions by

To get free latest updates, just sign up here

Looking for update from Home office or maybe interested to know more recent news with courses and career guideline! Just sign up with us to know more about Tier 4 latest updates including UKVI news.

21 comments… add one
  • monica
    July 16, 2011, 5:16 am Reply

    dear admin
    i need to extension my visa on November so do I need to do english language test for level 6 like IELTS or B2 ? Please tell me soon.

    • TIER 4 GURU
      July 20, 2011, 1:22 pm Reply

      Dear Monica

      thanks for your comments. yes of course you need to do English Language test to extend your visa. Before you sit for any English language test make sure you need the minimum language requirements for your desired course.

      Thanks again. 🙂

  • vicky
    July 16, 2011, 5:57 pm Reply

    I need some information regarding my visa extension. My current course will finish in September 2011but my will expire in February 2012. I want to take to take admission in January session and then i will apply for visa extension. plz tell me is it a right way?

    • admin
      July 18, 2011, 9:35 pm Reply


      I already told in this post. Please make sure you read this again and get your answer.

      Anyway it shouldn’t be no longer than 30 days to take new admission in new course or college from the last date of your current course. I hope you understand enough this time.

      If still confused please ask our other members of facebook fan page here http://www.facebook.com/thelondonstudy to discuss further

  • hamayoun shah
    August 13, 2011, 2:16 pm Reply

    hi , i m shah,if i want to get admission in acca then i will be able to do work or no,and if some one give me bank statement with sponsor letter , home office accept or not…thank u.

  • suji
    August 16, 2011, 11:49 pm Reply

    Dear admin
    I have got some problem regarding my visa i am doing my MBA from the college i have to submit my dissertation in 9th September but my visa is going to expire end of October now i don’t have much time to get my result so in this case after finishing my visa can i go back to country and after getting my result can i apply for PSW from my home town ?Please reply me as soon as possible thanks bye.

    • admin
      August 18, 2011, 5:06 am Reply


      Yes you can apply PSW from your country after receiving your degree award. Thanks

  • Declan Roberts
    September 1, 2011, 5:37 am Reply

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    I am making enquiries with reference to getting admitted to studying in a highly trusted college or institution. I am a 45 years old Nigerian male. I am an international student under Tier4, Level 4 with West End College, London. I have nearly concluded my module but the college got suspended by the Home Office. My visa expires in October 2011. The school has advised I look for another education provider and I have written and notified the Home Office about this development and my intention to change my education provider. Am yet to get a feedback from them. The UKBA website allows one to apply to another school in the event of such circumstances. I have I have written the IELTS English Language test and scored 6.0
    I shall be grateful for any advice you can give with reference to getting my visa extended.

    Thank you.

    Declan A. Roberts (Hackney)
    Email: decrod5ng@yahoo.com

    • admin
      September 1, 2011, 5:57 am Reply

      Thanks for your inquiry Roberts.

      As your current situation is quiet unexpected. I would like to suggest you some education providers name by email. Please check your inbox and get back to me soon.

      All the best


  • muhammad
    September 25, 2011, 2:49 am Reply

    my name is muhammad,
    can i extend my visa but i complete my cource early,and my visa expair in 2012.so
    if i possible my extension,please tell me.one more question can i used a stetment
    my father account.

  • muhammad
    September 25, 2011, 2:53 am Reply

    can i take a addmision in (HTC),and that college issue a working hours for me.
    please reply as soon as possible.

    November 7, 2011, 9:56 pm Reply

    Dear Sir/Madam
    Does anyone applying from inside UK to start a new course need to show the same maintenance fund and tuition as someone applying from outside UK?
    Please send me a copy of this via socsne@yahoo.com

  • Mayank
    March 27, 2012, 4:31 am Reply

    i m studying hospitality management in st.patricks college of london. my course is going to finish in the august 2012 and my visa is going to be end in may 2012…further, i would also like to join my final year (degree) which my” top up” course in the same college,.so how can i solve this problem ? plz..suggest..

    • admin
      March 27, 2012, 10:53 pm Reply

      You have to ask from your college for another CAS letter to extend your visa. Thanks Mayank.

  • rashed
    April 20, 2012, 6:33 pm Reply

    hi i am a student in kaplan, but ,in 2nd march kaplan send me email,they notified ,about me home office due to failed one subject 3 times.I came uk 9/9/2009 and i completed 8 out off 14.at the moment i participated in IELTS ,CITY &GUILD exam.now i m waiting for result also took admossion in one college but i am not able to get CAS without ielts result.at this moment what i have to be do. Do I need to inform home office or i can submit everything after getting my result.My visa expire will 13/6/2012

    • admin
      April 25, 2012, 12:56 am Reply

      Contact us directly for admission using our Contact page.

  • everest
    September 14, 2012, 8:11 pm Reply

    Dear admin,
    I just finished my undergraduate degree(level 6) in business management. I want to extend visa with undergraduate degree(level 6) in accounting and finance.
    Both the courses are at level 6. Only the difference is the course of study. According to UKBA, time limit for undergraduate study is 5 years. Please give me suggestions asap.

  • everest
    December 27, 2012, 11:18 pm Reply

    Pls advice me ASAP-visa extension
    dear admin,
    #I am going to apply for visa extention within 2 months.My passport will expire in 2014 but I want to apply for accounting in glyndr uni london(3 yrs) that means the course duration in more than my passport expiry date. For this reason, I planned to renew my passport first but the problem is – Embassy of London says it takes 3 months for passport renewal process. Pls help in this regard.
    #Also, can I apply for visa extension before just one day of the visa expiry date?
    Thank you very much for your time.

  • nasrullah
    September 26, 2013, 1:01 am Reply

    Could you tell me….is beechwood school….which is situated in birmingham start Ford road….has been revoked or cancel. ….cz I didn’t find out any information about this college. …such as when I saw in ukba collage revoked list…..

  • fakhar
    October 3, 2013, 8:22 pm Reply

    hi i am a international student i and i just finish my current course on 13th sept and my college staff are saying to apply my extenision in december is it ok?? or i have to apply now? and i just started my new course on 2nd of oct is it ok if i apply my extension in december??? please reply as soon as possible


    • admin
      October 5, 2013, 1:56 pm Reply

      Apply as soon as you can. So that you can be eligible for lower maintenance funds. Keep in mind about 60 days. You must apply for extension within 60 days from your current course completion date. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Cancel reply