Trending Stories

Short-term UK study visa guide

Short-term UK study visa also known as student visitor visa. Overseas student interested to study short course in UK should apply for a student visitor visa. Usually these type of course minimum 4 weeks to maximum 9 months. Short-term UK student visa can study English, Business, Fashion or any kind of training courses.

Remember this is not a Tier 4 (General) student visa who’s coming to study academic course. Student visitor visa allows to study and return the student to their home. This short-term student visitor visa could be for minimum 6 to 9 months and there won’t be any extension under Short-term student visitor visa.

Summer courses are very famous in London for international students for short study visa and many students at the same time enjoy their holiday.

Requirements for Short-term study visa

The procedure of this visa is very simple. You need to apply to any school in UK who’s offering course you are looking for and of course the school should hold a Tier 4 Sponsor licence. You need minimum school level qualifications.

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for:

  • 6 months – for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
  • 11 months – if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course

Visa application fees:
£85 for a 6 month visa
£162 for an 11 month visa

Documents required for Visa

When you apply you’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • one passport-sized colour photograph
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you’re under 18 years old)

You need to provide the original documents.

You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

Read the guide for a full list of documents you can provide.

Documents about your course

You must provide proof of the course you’re studying, eg a letter of acceptance from the educational institution – on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, eg evidence of your:

  • previous study, eg academic certificates, references or transcripts
  • English language qualifications, eg certificates or awards
  • accommodation and travel plans
  • permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not a national)
  • financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies

You can have more detailed information about student visitor visa in UK (click here) from Home office website. If you think you need help to find any course and more guide about UK Short Student Visa you may email to us or alternatively ask any questions in the comment box below.

This is SM Nazir Hossain and I'm blogging about Studying in UK alongside my study when I get spare time. I'm passionate about digital marketing and I love to watch cricket, football, cinema. Desired profession Digital Marketing expert. Follow me in twitter @Twitter

View all contributions by

To get free latest updates, just sign up here

Looking for update from Home office or maybe interested to know more recent news with courses and career guideline! Just sign up with us to know more about Tier 4 latest updates including UKVI news.

1 comment… add one
  • janice
    October 9, 2016, 8:11 am Reply

    Appreciate if you could help me to solve my question at below.

    1. Can i apply the course which is not in the Tier 4 sponsor liences?


Leave a Comment