Trending Stories

New Tier 4 maintenance fund increased from April 2012

UKBA recently set a new changes in Tier 4 student visa. From 6th April 2012 all student who wants to study in UK has to show £200 extra for every single month. Whether your place of study inner London or outer London, you must add £200 for your living expense extra in each month to show UK Boarder Agency that you have sufficient money to cover your study while your are in UK.

For prospective students: Applied from 1 July 2014

If you want to come in UK then please note the following Tier 4 maintenance requirements changes.

  • £1020 each month if your primary study location inside London, up to 9 months for 28 days period in your bank account. Which is £9160 for your accommodation only. Please convert British Pound (£) to your local currency.
  • £820 each month if your primary study location outside London, up to 9 months for 28 days period in your bank account. Which is £7380 if you study outside London.

If you are already in UK:

If students are already in UK then same thing will apply for a new Tier 4 application. But if you have established presence in UK which means academic progress then you have to show money for maximum 2 months.

For example, if a student passed 1st year of his/her education and want to extend their visa then £1000 into up to 2 months equal to £2000 maintenance funds only. 

Tier 4 (dependants) maintenance funds increased too: Last update by UKVI 1 July 2014

From 6th April 2012 all Tier 4 dependent maintenance funds will be £600 per month. Previously it was £533 for every single dependent and now its £600. How much money they need to show will depend on Tier 4 main applicants circumstance.

  1. Inner London dependents fund required £615 per month
  2. Outer London dependants fund required £460 per month

For example, if the Tier 4 (General) Student who is studying in inner London is making an application at the same time as his/her spouse and two children. He/she must show that he/she has £600 for his/her spouse and a further £600 for each child, in addition to £1000 required for his/her own support. In total the family will require evidence that they hold 2 months maintenance of £2800 per month in available funds (£600 x 3 = £1800 + £1000).

Ask us if you still confused about Tier 4 required funds for UK visa. Want to extend Tier 4 visa and don’t know exactly how much money you need to show in Bank account then comments here or contact with us.


This is SM Nazir Hossain and I'm blogging about Studying in UK alongside my study when I get spare time. I'm passionate about digital marketing and I love to watch cricket, football, cinema. Desired profession Digital Marketing expert. Follow me in twitter @Twitter

View all contributions by

To get free latest updates, just sign up here

Looking for update from Home office or maybe interested to know more recent news with courses and career guideline! Just sign up with us to know more about Tier 4 latest updates including UKVI news.

17 comments… add one
  • Jivan das
    March 19, 2012, 7:54 pm Reply

    hi my college suspended and can you please tell me how much money i need to show in bank account for me and my spouse (dependent)? pls reply me as soon as you can…

    thank you

    • admin
      March 19, 2012, 8:04 pm Reply

      If you have regular progress then according to new Tier 4 rules you need to show £2000 + 1st year tuition fees (deduct the amount you already paid to college).
      For student dependent £600 per month and so for 2 months its £1200. All money has to be in your bank account 28 days period. Thanks

  • priya ray
    March 19, 2012, 7:59 pm Reply

    i don’t have any progress in uk. My college London Thames College revoked and Im looking for a cheap college in London to extend my tier 4 visa. I have 2 dependants so can you tell me how much money i required for maintenance to have a new visa…

    April 6, 2012, 9:44 am Reply

    Hi everybody, I wanna apply as visitor student , so does this changes affect this type of visa? or only for tier 4………
    thank you

    • admin
      April 6, 2012, 4:25 pm Reply

      You can apply student visitor visa. Tier 4 rules doesn’t apply to Student visitor visa. Thanks Billel.

    April 8, 2012, 12:04 am Reply

    Actually i’m confused, I wanna enrol for 36 weeks English courses in London, then i don’t know which type of Visa I have to apply, Student visitor or tier 4, what are the differences? thany you

  • Mandeep singj
    April 21, 2012, 7:08 am Reply

    I have completed my post graduate diploma from university of Wolverhampton. Now I am going to apply another post graduate diploma in Aston college Birmingham. Please tell am I able get 20 hour work permission during studies time and my dependent will get full time word permission. I have completed Post graduate diploma in level seven from university of Wolverhampton. Please send me reply earlier as possible . Thanks.

  • nakul
    May 5, 2012, 7:03 pm Reply

    i m planning to take admission in ethames college london or lsbf can you please tell me which one is the best for study or safe in future.

    • admin
      May 5, 2012, 9:49 pm Reply

      Dear Nakul

      Please check your Email inbox. Thanks.

  • sadia
    August 26, 2012, 2:42 pm Reply

    Hi my husband is tier 4 student in london and i am in pakistan.i want to join him there as his dependant.he is allowed to bring his spouse and has paid all his fee.could u please tell me that how much money he needs to show as maintenace funds and for how many days.i heard its 1200£ for 28 that true?.i would really appericiate any help.thanks

  • Kuber
    September 16, 2012, 10:45 am Reply

    Hi i am looking for a cheap university in london for enrolment. Do u have any idea any university have cheap tutuin fees around £4000-£5000. Can i bring dependant if i join undergraduate course in any university?? Replay me asap please.


  • Umar cheema
    January 11, 2013, 4:34 pm Reply

    Hi, my visa Is going to expire on 28 feb 2013 i have done my BA. how much statement do I need and how long it should be in my account? the Money Should be in my account for 28days? or 2 months? plzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

    • admin
      January 14, 2013, 3:41 pm Reply

      Book an free appointment with us. Click contact

  • Sami Yoddin
    August 3, 2013, 1:50 am Reply

    Hi, my colege is revoked.this revoked college not giving any progression. So how much funds I hav to show please tel me. I hav done 3years degree before this course.i hav certificate for 3years course.thx in advance

  • Anu
    September 9, 2013, 7:00 pm Reply

    I m studing in university for the last 15 months but now i failed in few subjects so i need to repeat the year of course again. So, i wish to continue with other institution and also my visa expires on this 1st Oct 2013. I m confused about my fund on my account. Whether i must show 9months or 2 months maintenance?

  • obaid
    October 26, 2013, 10:49 pm Reply

    ukba is checking living cost only for 9 months. if a student gets a visa for example more than 2 years. then how they are calculating the living cost?
    what if student only have pound 9000 in account, and not more than that. plus he is not allowed to work, how come that student can afford to live and study?

Leave a Comment